Easter Dinner: Roasted Lamb Chops with Charmoula & Skillet Asparagus
We had a quiet Easter at home in New York City.Â My mom came in for dinner.Â Since Tim, my mom, and I are all lamb lovers, I decided lamb chops were a perfect Easter dinner. I found this recipe on Epicurious and thought it looked delicious.
Charmoula is a zesty herb and garlic sauce from the Middle East.Â The store was out of mint so I just doubled the amount of cilantro.Â The sauce was delicious on the lamb and provided great flavor as a marinade.
I cooked the lamb for the 13 minutes the recipe called for and the lamb turned out perfectly.Â I typically roast asparagus but the skillet asparagus was delicious.Â I squeezed a bit of lemon juice on the asparagus before serving.
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 cups (lightly packed) fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup (lightly packed) fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup (lightly packed) fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika (pimentÃ³n dulce)* or sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Lamb & Asparagus
- 8 (1 1/4- to 1 1/2-inch-thick) lamb loin chops (about 2 2/3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds thin asparagus, trimmed, peeled, tops cut into 3-inch-long pieces, stalks cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
Heat small skillet over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and toast until aromatic and slightly darker, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Transfer to processor. Add parsley leaves and next 6 ingredients to processor. Using on/off turns, process until coarse paste forms. With machine running, gradually add 4 tablespoons oil. Transfer 2 tablespoons charmoula to small bowl; whisk in lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Cover and chill to serve with lamb.
For lamb & asparagus:
Transfer remaining charmoula to large resealable plastic bag. Add lamb chops; seal bag and turn to coat well. Chill at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
Let lamb and charmoula sauce in bowl stand at room temperature 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 500Â°F. Line rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place rack on prepared baking sheet. Place lamb on rack and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until thermometer inserted into center registers 130Â°F for medium-rare, about 13 minutes. Transfer lamb to platter. Tent with foil and let rest 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt butter with 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add asparagus and sautÃ© until tender, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Add shallot and lemon peel. SautÃ© 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place 2 lamb chops on each of 4 plates. Divide asparagus among plates. Drizzle lamb and asparagus with charmoula sauce, passing remaining sauce alongside.