Sheet Pan Dinners: Harissa Salmon with Potatoes and Citrus
Like so many of you, we’ve been trying to eat a bit healthier in January to counter our holiday indulgences. This is a sheet-pan dinner that is clean yet flavorful thanks to the harissa.
What is harissa? It is a North African chili paste / sauce made from red chilies, garlic, vinegar, and spices. It adds heat and smokiness.
Unfortunately I was out of harissa paste which is thicker and more concentrated than the harissa sauce I used. Next time I will definitely make sure to have harissa paste on hand as I would have enjoyed a bolder flavor on the salmon. The orange juice and zest in the marinade helps cut the heat for those who don’t love spice.
Overall a delicious, healthy weeknight meal with only a sheet-plan to clean!
Sheet Pan Harissa Salmon with Potatoes and Citrus
Colu Henry, New York Times Cooking
- 4Â (6-ounce) skin-on salmon fillets, about 1- to 1Â½-inches thick
- Â Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 to 3Â tablespoons mild or spicy harissa paste, depending on your preference
- 2Â teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1Â garlic clove, grated
- Â½Â teaspoon orange zest
- Â¼Â cup orange juice (from about Â½ orange)
- 1Â pound small potatoes, such as baby red or fingerlings, cut in half lengthwise
- 1Â small red onion, peeled, quartered and cut into Â½-inch wedges
- 2Â tablespoons olive oil
- Â¼Â cup cilantro, roughly chopped, both leaves and tender stems
- 3Â tablespoons scallions, thinly sliced on an angle, both white and green parts
- Â Flaky salt, for serving
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Lay salmon on a plate, and season with salt and pepper. In a shallow bowl, whisk together harissa, ginger, garlic, orange zest and juice. Spoon the mixture over the flesh and sides of the fish, and let marinate at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, line a sheet pan with parchment paper (or use a nonstick sheet pan). In a large bowl, toss together the potatoes and onion with the olive oil, and season well with salt and pepper. Arrange them on the sheet pan in 1 layer, leaving 4 spaces for the salmon fillets to be added later. Roast until the potatoes are beginning to brown and are almost cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Add the salmon to the sheet pan skin-side down, and roast until the fish is opaque and cooked through and the potatoes are crisp, about 8 minutes more. Scatter cilantro and scallions over everything, and season with flaky salt.