Colombian Carne Bistec
We travel from the Korean Peninsula the other night to South America with last night’s Colombian steak recipe from Skinnytaste. I’ve made a ton of recipes from Skinnytaste over the past year. In general, they are quite easy, quick, and on the healthier side without sacrificing flavor.
This recipe has very few ingredients so I was a little skeptical of how flavorful it would be. But the cumin packs a real flavor punch, adding warmth and earthiness perfect for a winter night.
A few notes….I used sirloin tip steak that I sliced. Next time I might try with a skirt steak. I sliced the onion and chopped two Roma tomatoes.
Despite the simplicity of the recipe, I didn’t read it fully and ended up combining the garlic powder and cumin together in a little bowl. I ended up seasoning the uncooked steak with Kosher salt and most of the spice mixture. I then added a bit more of the cumin and garlic powder when I cooked veggies.
Given that we had fried eggs on our Cod & Kimchi Stew the other night, I opted to skip that but I’ll definitely serve that way next time. We enjoyed some roasted Brussels sprouts for some green on our plates.
Colombian Steak with Onions and Tomatoes
- 1-1/2Â lbsÂ sirloin tip steak,Â sliced very thin
- kosher salt to taste
- 1/2Â teaspoonÂ garlic powder
- 1/2Â teaspoonÂ cumin
- 4Â tspÂ olive oil
- 1Â medium onion,Â sliced thin or chopped
- 1Â very large tomato or 2 medium tomatoes,Â sliced thin or chopped
- cooked rice and fried eggs,Â optional for serving
- Season steak with 1 teaspoon salt and garlic powder.
- Heat a large frying pan until VERY HOT.
- Add 2 tsp of oil then half of the steak and cook less than a minute on each side until browned.
- Set steak aside, add another teaspoon of oil and cook remaining steak. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium, add another teaspoon of oil and add the onions.
- CookÂ 2 minutes, until soft then add the tomatoes.
- Season with more salt, to taste, about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon. Add black pepper and cumin and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and simmer a few minutes to create a sauce, add more water if needed and taste adjust seasoning as needed.
- Return the steak to the pan along with the drippings, combine well and remove from heat.
- Serve over rice or veggie rice for a low carb option with a sunny-side up egg on top.