Meatless Monday: Tomato & Mozzarella Quesadillas with Basil
Here is a super quick and easy Meatless Monday recipe perfect for the summer when tomatoes and basil are in season. I didn’t make any changes other than drizzling some balsamic vinegar on the basil salad.
Tim and I both enjoyed our “Caprese” quesadillas! And, I loved getting dinner on the table in 10 minutes and the very limited clean up work!
Tomato & Mozzarella Quesadillas with Basil
- 8 8-inch flour tortillas
- 12 ounces grated or sliced mozzarella
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh basil, leaves picked
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat grill to medium. Arrange 4 of the tortillas on a cutting board. Arrange the mozzarella and tomatoes on the tortillas, leaving a 1-inch border empty. Season with ½ teaspoon of the salt and the pepper and top with the remaining tortillas.
- In a medium bowl, combine the basil, pine nuts, oil, and the remaining salt; set aside.
- Cook the quesadillas around the perimeter of the grill until the cheese melts and the tortillas are crisp and golden, about 2 minutes per side.
- Immediately cut the quesadillas into wedges and serve with the basil salad.