Loaded Sweet Potatoes With Black Beans & Cheddar
This is such a simple recipe that it’s almost not a recipe. But the thing I love about it is: 1) without this recipe, I would never have put these ingredients together; 2) I will always cooks sweet potatoes cut in half lengthwise, cut side down at 425 degrees from now on.
Definitely make sure to brush both sides of the sweet potatoes with olive oil and salt both sides.
I served this as a vegetarian entree with some sliced avocado. So easy and delicious!
Loaded Sweet Potatoes With Black Beans and Cheddar
Sarah Jampel, NYT Cooking
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (8 to 10 ounces each), scrubbed and dried
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup cooked black beans (if canned, rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar
- Black pepper
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Halve sweet potatoes lengthwise, then brush all over with olive oil and sprinkle both sides with salt.
- Place cut side down on prepared sheet and roast for 30 to 40 minutes, or until completely cooked through. Take sweet potatoes out of the oven, turn them over and let cool slightly. Use a fork to rough up the flesh and slightly flatten the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide half the cheese among the potato halves. Spoon the black beans over them, then cover with the remaining cheese. Return the pan to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the beans have warmed through. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
4 servings as side dish. 2 servings as main course.