Slow Cooker Recipes: Tex-Mex Chicken & Beans
Here is another slow cooker recipe!Â This is a Mexican-style chicken and beans recipe.Â There is a little heat from the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and you can add extra spice or reduce the spice depending on what type of salsa you use.
I made a few adjustments when I prepared this yesterday.Â I used 1 red bell pepper and 1 yellow bell pepper.Â I also used two cans of pinto beans, rinsed and drained.Â The beans were probably a little too soft but I didn’t have dried beans on hand.Â I also only used 6 chicken thighs because that is what I had in the fridge.Â I have made the recipe before and it is less soupy than it appears in the photo when you use the 8 thighs.
Enjoy this dish with rice or some warmed tortillas!
Slow-Cooked Tex-Mex Chicken & Beans
- 1 cup dried pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 jar (11 ounces) mild or medium salsa (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream, for serving
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for serving