Meatless Mondays: Asparagus Pesto
We had this tasty springtime vegetarian dinner last night.Â I had some asparagus that I wanted to use so I searched for a vegetarian recipe for meatless Monday.Â I had never seen asparagus pesto before so I had to give it a shot!
I made a couple of changes to the recipe.Â I used Italian parsley instead of basil and added 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese to the asparagus mixture in the food processor.Â I also used whole wheat spaghetti rather than spinach pasta because I had some in the pantry.
The dish was tasty — very fresh and light for the spring.Â Next time, to save a little time, I might skip the step of sauteing the shallot and adding the broth to the pesto.Â I think the recipe would be delicious if you just tossed the hot pasta with the pesto and added a little pasta water to make the sauce.
Spinach Pasta with Asparagus Pesto
- 1/2Â poundÂ green asparagus, peeled and trimmed
- 1Â clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/4Â cupÂ fresh basil leaves
- 1Â ounceÂ pine nuts (2 tablespoons)
- 2Â tablespoonsÂ olive oil
- 1Â shallot, thinly sliced
- 1Â cupÂ chicken broth
- 1Â poundÂ spinach spaghetti
- 1Â ounceÂ Parmesan, freshly grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1Â teaspoonÂ salt
- 1/8Â teaspoonÂ freshly ground pepper
- 1/4Â cupÂ fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces