Perfect Barbecue Side Dishes: Green Bean Salad
This is a super simple green bean salad with a refreshing lemon vinaigrette and some thinly sliced grilled red onions.
The salad is made with haricot vert — French green beans — which are thinner and longer than typical string beans. I also find the haricot vert to be more tender and have better flavor.
This salad can be made ahead and I actually recommend that you do so that the flavor have a chance to meld.
Emeril’s Green Bean Salad
Emeril Lagasse for Everyday Food
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 pounds haricots verts or other thin green beans, trimmed
- 2 small red onions, quartered through root end (leaving root end attached)
Heat grill to medium-low heat. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and prepare a large bowl of ice water. In another large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons oil, garlic, lemon zest and juice; set aside.
Cook green beans in boiling water until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer immediately to ice-water bath. Drain beans well, pat dry and add to bowl with dressing. Set aside.
Toss onion wedges with remaining tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill until lightly charred, 4 to 6 minutes per side. When cool, trim root end off and thinly slice onions; add to bowl with green beans and toss to combine. (To store, refrigerate for up to 2 days.)