Cheeseburgers with a Twist: Chipotle Pork Cheeseburgers
Here’s a different take on a cheeseburger…use ground pork instead of beef!
These pork burgers seasoned with one of my favorite flavors — chipotle peppers in adobo sauce — were delicious. It’s amazing that such a small amount of this ingredient can pack in so much flavor!
I forgot to pick up the tomatillos but we did use the sliced avocados and the muenster cheese. Both were a delicious complement to the spicy pork burgers.
Chipotle Pork Cheeseburgers
Gourmet, June 2009
- 1 pound ground pork (not lean)
- 2 teaspoons minced chipotle in adobo plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, forced through a garlic press
- 4 slices Muenster cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large tomatillo (1/4 pound), husked and rinsed, then sliced
- 1/2 small avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro sprigs
Prepare a gas grill for direct-heat cooking over medium heat.
Gently mix pork, chipotle, garlic, and a scant teaspoon salt until just combined. Form into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) patties.
Oil grill rack, then grill patties, covered, 4 minutes.
Flip patties and top with a slice of cheese. Grill, covered, until just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes more.
Spread buns with mayonnaise and assemble burgers with tomatillo, avocado, and cilantro.