Summer Sides: Shaved Zucchini Salad with Parmesan & Pine Nuts
I made this delicious summer salad to go along with ribs last weekend.Â I love zucchini and think it is one of the real culinary treasurers of the summer and this salad is a great no-cook way to put the veggie to work.Â The lemon dressing adds a great freshness to the dish.Â And I love anything with parmesan and pine nuts!
Shaved Zucchini Salad with Parmesan and Pine Nuts
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds medium zucchini, trimmed
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Small wedge of Parmesan cheese
Whisk oil, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and crushed red pepper in small bowl to blend. Set dressing aside.
Using vegetable peeler or V-slicer and working from top to bottom of each zucchini, slice zucchini into ribbons (about 1/16 inch thick). Place ribbons in large bowl. Add basil and nuts, then dressing; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Using vegetable peeler, shave strips from Parmesan wedge over salad.