Simple Spinach Salad
Happy New Year!
The first post of the year is a quick one.Â Last night, I made this simple spinach salad.Â The recipe reminds me of my mom’s spinach salad which I have always loved!Â I used baby spinach because that’s what we had but I am sure it would be delicious with curly spinach.Â Substitute red onion if you don’t have shallots.
* 6 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
* 2 medium shallots, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise (3/4 cup)
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 6 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
* Scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 lb curly spinach (about 20 cups), coarse stems discarded
* 4 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
print a shopping list for this recipe
Cook bacon in a 12-inch skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Add shallots and oil to bacon fat in skillet and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned, about 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and add vinegar, stirring and scraping up any brown bits.
Stir in salt and pepper and immediately pour dressing over spinach, tossing to coat. Serve sprinkled with egg and bacon.