Chicken Meatballs with Braised Lemon and Kale
The broth has a nice flavor from the shallots and lemon. The meatballs — which are gluten-free — are quite tasty thanks to the garlic, shallots, scallions, and red pepper flakes. The braised kale is tender.
Overall an easy, healthy weeknight meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium shallots, minced, divided
- 1 scallion, minced (all parts), plus thinly sliced green tops for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound ground chicken meat
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, plus more
- 1 lemon, very thinly sliced and seeds removed
- 2 cups low salt chicken broth
- 1 large bunch curly kale, destemmed
Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add shallot, scallion, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring constantly until softened and fragrant, about 6 minutes.
Add 1/3 of ground chicken and cook just until cooked through, breaking up any clumps. Transfer to a medium bowl and let cool slightly. Add remaining chicken meat, salt, and several grindings of black pepper. Mix just to combine. Wipe out pot and add remaining Tbsp. oil. Heat over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Form meat mixture into 8 meatballs each about 2–2 1⁄2-inch in diameter and add to pot (mixture will be soft). Cook until light golden brown on all sides, 6–8 minutes total. Remove meatballs to a plate; set aside.
Add remaining shallot and lemon slices and cook until lemon slices are tender and starting to turn light golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and return meatballs to pot.
Bring to simmer, lower heat and cover. Cook meatballs until cooked through, 8-10 minutes. Add kale to pot, and cook until tender and bright green, 4–5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat. Divide kale and sauce among 4 shallow bowls, topping with meatballs and lemon slices. Garnish with sliced scallion tops and serve.