Fall Desserts: Dutch Apple Pie
It’s apple season! And, that means apple pie!
The Little Pie Company in our neighborhood has the most delicious Sour Cream Apple Walnut Pie so I searched online for a similar recipe. I didn’t find one with sour cream in the recipe but I found this absolutely delicious Dutch Apple Pie recipe in Food & Wine.
We picked up a peck of fresh Honey Crisps and Macouns at Windy Hill in Great Barrington, MA on Saturday so I used a combo of the two for the pie. No changes to the recipe other than using a Pillsbury refrigerator crust as a time saver.
Everyone loved the pie!! The apple filling was delicious and the brown sugar topping was amazing with a little crunch from the walnuts. This recipe is a keeper!
Dutch Apple Pie
Food & Wine
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cubed, plus 6 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 6 large apples—peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks or thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts