Black Bean Burgers with Guacamole Salad
After a gluttonous steak dinner with some very creamy creamed spinach, I thought we should go a bit lighter tonight and enjoy a vegetarian dinner.
I was looking through the February recipes posted on Epicurious and found this Black Bean Burger recipe that couldn’t be easier!Â Tim is obsessed with avocados (often eating them for breakfast) so adding a variant of guacamole to the meal was an easy crowd-pleaser.
The burger recipe made four good size burgers.Â I topped my burger with sliced avocado and some salsa.Â Tim used avocado and mayonaise, which is his condiment of choice.Â Next time I make this I will be on the lookout for better rolls – I could only find giant kaiser rolls which were a bit over-sized for the burgers.
The guacamole salad was delicious.Â I added a third avocado and omitted the black beans in the recipe below since we were getting a healthy dose of black beans in the burgers.Â If you don’t like heat, I would reduce the amount of jalapeno.Â Make sure to buy ripe avocados!
Courtesy of Gourmet Magazine, February 2009
- 2 (14-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 soft hamburger buns
Pulse 1 can beans in a food processor with mayonnaise, bread crumbs, cumin, oregano, and cayenne until a coarse purÃ©e forms. Transfer to a bowl and stir in cilantro and remaining can beans. Form mixture into 4 patties.
Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Cook burgers until outsides are crisp and lightly browned, turning once, about 5 minutes total. Serve on buns.
2006, Barefoot Contessa at Home
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and 1/2-inch diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup small diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers, seeded (2 peppers)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (2 limes)
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, seeded, peeled, and 1/2-inch diced
Place the tomatoes, yellow pepper, black beans, red onion, jalapeno peppers, and lime zest in a large bowl. Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic, and cayenne pepper and pour over the vegetables. Toss well.
Just before you’re ready to serve the salad, fold the avocados into the salad. Check the seasoning and serve at room temperature.
7 thoughts on “Black Bean Burgers with Guacamole Salad”
I can’t wait to make this for Phoebe!
I actually thought of you guys when I found the recipe and was going to email it to you! They were yummy!
It was delicious! And, I’ve got none of those angry cravings for meat